Impact Launchpad 2019
Congratulations to our 12 finalists for 2019!
Applications are now closed
Impact Launchpad provides incubation to social enterprises and social entrepreneurs at an early stage of development and operation. The programme fosters an environment in which social entrepreneurs can learn from each other and ‘hack’ challenges together.
We bring together business support, expert facilitators, technical partners and funding advice and opportunities to ensure participant success.
Selected enterprises will have access to post-programme support, physical office space and access to networks.
This 6-month programme consists of several modules designed to move social enterprises from concept stage to market-ready ventures. Between modules, participants immerse themselves in their end-users’ environments and test their solutions, receiving feedback on their prototypes, as well as receiving guidance from mentors and industry experts. Midway through the process, a hackathon takes place during which participants and community members hack solutions.
Impact Hub Joburg (IHJ) is part of a rapidly expanding global network of over 17 000 members working in over 99 locations. IHJ’s community is comprised of entrepreneurs, freelancers, techies, consultants, investors, creatives, artists and more. Together, they offer a unique ecosystem of resources, inspiration, and collaboration opportunities to grow their members’ impact. They are a practice-based community that provide change-makers the space to get to work while pioneering initiatives and educating the market through inspiring, connecting and enabling their community to develop into viable social enterprises.
Programme Information and Requirements
2019 Theme: EDUCATION (skills development, TechED, Digital Literacy, knowledge-sharing, training etc.)
Closing date for applications: Friday, 21 June 2019. Finalists will be announced at the end of June 2019.
What you will receive if you are selected to participate in the programme:
• A 6-module incubation programme with world-class facilitators, covering:
o Learning Journey into a low-income community facing a multitude of challenges;
o Design Thinking;
o Theory of Change;
o Business Model Canvas;
o Customer Discovery;
o Financial Literacy;
o and Scaling.
• Business and performance coaching
• A 3-day-a-week Impact Hub membership at Impact Hub Joburg from July – December 2019
• Access to networks and opportunities
• Ventures accepted to the programme will receive access to funding and funding opportunities
Time commitment required:
Four days a month for 6 months (July 2019 – November 2019), weekly and monthly coaching sessions
(totalling 2 hours with coaches per month), one evening in November for pitching of ideas to access
funding. Important: If you miss module 1 of the programme, you will be disqualified from the programme.
If you miss any of the events subsequent to module 1, you will be disqualified from the final pitch event and
forego your commitment fee refund.
The programme will be hosted at Impact Hub Joburg on the 4th Floor of the East Wing, 158 Jan Smuts
Building, 9 Walters street, Rosebank, Johannesburg. It is your responsibility to make sure that you can
travel to and from Rosebank to attend the modules.
Who were our applicants?
• Ideation and start-up stage social enterprises focused on Education (herein: skills development,
training, knowledge-sharing, techED etc)
• Businesses, non-profits, and individuals without a registered entity are all welcome to apply.
• You can apply as individuals or a team of up to 2 people
• Innovative and scalable ideas addressing any Education challenges in South Africa
• Business models that show potential for financial sustainability and not donor reliance
• Preference was given to ideas that show significant potential for impact at the base of the
pyramid or in the most disadvantaged communities